Spiked French Onion Soup

French Onion Soup

Cognac, vermouth, and real onions? Sorry soup-in-an-envelope, you don’t stand a chance!
However, I learned the hard way that a shower is necessary after making this soup. I am sure the waft of onion that trailed behind me offended a number of people. But who cares? Adapted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, being a temporary Stink-Monster is totally worth it.

14 Responses to “Spiked French Onion Soup”

1. 1
    Nicole — November 11, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

There are far worse things to smell like. I have been wanting to make this for a while, but it is not so much the soup as making the baguettes that I just can’t find the time for. Nice job.

2. 2
    Vanessa — November 11, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

Sounds delicious and perfect for the Fall weather! Can’t wait to try it!

3. 3
    JehanP — November 11, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

I adore french onion soup and you’ve kicked it up a notch!

4. 4
    Maggie — November 12, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

Thanks for the comments ladies! I hope you like it if you try it out. Let me know if you find a good addition to it; although, I find it hard to top Julia Child but you never know! :)

5. 5
    naama peled — November 14, 2010 @ 3:32 am

Looks delicious!
    I will make it soon/
    t y !

6. 6
    Mandy Lea Turchin — November 15, 2010 @ 9:30 am

Such a beautiful pic – wow!

7. 7
    Becky Reynolds Smith — January 2, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Yumm…..that looks delicious!! Can I come over and have you make some for me??? I wish you were closer!! Hope your holidays were great and hope to see you soon!!
    Becky

8. 8
    Kristin — January 27, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Hey Margarrrita,

I’ve been on a serious french onion soup kick lately and am thinking about trying this one. Although I love the general restaurant serving with cheese caking the side of the bowl (the main reason why I order it), I am equally fascinated with replacing croutons for slices of baguette even if all they get is a ‘sprinkling of cheese’. Do you know how many servings this soup yields? Grazi Bella!

• Maggie replied: — January 27th, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

I think that you could make some homemade croutons out of the baguette and it would be really good. In fact, I may try to do that next time. It’ll be a little bit easier to eat that way. But load up as much cheese as you want–you can never have too much! :)
      I think the recipe yields about 6-8 servings, depending on the size of the bowls. I know the two of us ate off of it for two days and I still dumped some.

9. 9
    Susan Loren-Taylor — January 29, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

This is one of my favorite soups. I love the addition of cognac and vermouth…..my kind of recipe! (-;

• Maggie replied: — January 30th, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Everything is better with booze ;)

10. 10
    Susan Loren-Taylor — January 29, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Love the photo too!

11. 11
    Kristina — February 1, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Is it weird that I come over to your blog sometimes just to visit the picture of the soup? It looks so good…

• Maggie replied: — February 4th, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Ha! Thanks Kristina!
      Is it weird that I come over to your blog sometimes just to get drunk off of your cocktail photos?